Friday, May 20, 2011

Yawning=Hunger?

Yesterday, I yawned more than normal, due to coffee-overdose-followed-by-down-time-sleepiness. "Are you hungry?" was what three different unrelated people asked me who saw me yawn. "Why do you think I am hungry?" I asked. "Because you are yawning," I was told. "So you are tired. So you must have worked very hard and used a lot of energy and are now hungry." I responded that, in fact, I was just tired and not for any justifiable excuse like physical effort that would also lead to hunger.

A random Google search tells me that this Yawning=Hunger is common in Colombia, as well.

The secretary at the school, from Uganda, also says that she thinks it means that you are hungry. Though she personally thinks it means you are tired "because not every time that I yawn I am hungry!"

And the State of Nature also thinks that yawning is a sign you should grab some food: according to an article in Buzzle.com, "Yawning is believed to be induced when the level of glucose supplied to the brain decreases, as in the state of hunger."

I guess I forgot the connection between fatigue, physical exertion and hunger. I have often experienced these feelings, but rarely together.


No comments:

Post a Comment